Monday, June 23, 2008

So much to comprehend ...

Although death usually brings sadness, I truly believe it should be a celebration of that person's life as well. As hard as it may be for us to realize that person is gone, there are those moments that we begin to think back and remember that it was such a wonderful time while they were here with us. Starting last night, in a matter of a 12-hour span, I found out about 3 deaths. My best friend's frat brother, our Dean's father, and a friend's brother-in-law. WoW. One alone is hard to hear about, much less adding 2 more to that. Any death is hard to hear about but for some reason when I hear about someone that is around my age passing away, it always makes me open my eyes and put a lot of things in perspective. And it's a reminder that life is short. We are only here for a certain amount of time so we might as well make the best of it. Reminds me of a quote that I heard from cowboy Rob Smets while we were at the PBR Finals last November:

"It seems that these days most people spend their time making a living instead of making a life. We are only here for a short while and we should be making the most of it. It doesnt matter whether youre a millionaire or have the fastest car. Sometimes we all need a reality check to bring us back to what is really important"

I think my best friend had one of those reality checks today. While walking and talking with him, he told me that he wants to fix things with his dad and that they are going fishing next time he goes home. That made my heart happy. Some things are just not worth being upset about and it's just better to realize that life moves on and people make mistakes.

Ya know, we all say that we need to live everyday as if it were our last. Always easier said than done but I believe that if we strive to live like that then there is no telling how our lives would be. That's my new goal. :) And to remember that tomorrow is never promised.

No comments: